Saturday, March 10, 2012

NBC's "Awake" review: The New Kid on the Block

*Note: I am not a professional TV critic nor do I claim I'm the most knowledgeable in the world. These reviews are strictly for entertainment and informative reasons only. All images/video belong to the network and or their respective copyright holders. Please don't sue me. Seriously. This review will be in a slightly different format than my others.*

A friend of mine turned me onto a new show on NBC called Awake. He didn't tell me anything about it other than I might like it. He was right. I do like it so far. There have only been two episodes as of the writing of this blog, I can see both the show's potential and it's possible downfall.

It's mixed bag really.

The basic pilot starts off with Detective Michael Britten (played by Jason Isaacs), his wife Hannah Britten (played by Laura Allen), and his son Rex Britten (played by Dylan Minnette) have gotten into a car accident. Since that accident, Michael Britten has been living in two "realities". To distinguish between the two, he has a green band on his wrist in the reality where his son survived the accident and his wife didn't and a red wrist band in the one where his wife survived, but his son didn't. 
It's not rocket surgery.

In these two realities, he has to solve different crimes that share something similar such as a number or a person's name. He also has two different partners working with him in each reality. In his green reality, he has Detective Isaiah "Bird" Freeman (played by Steve Harris) and in his red reality, he has Detective Efrem Vega (played by Wilmer Valderrama) who recently got a promotion to be a detective. Isiah "Bird" Freeman is also in the red reality, however he is not Michael's partner anymore. As for Efrem Vega in the green reality, he's still just a cop. Also in his green reality, Tara (played by Michaela McManus) has become Rex's tennis teacher and Michael clearly has an attraction to her.
Keep a chart if it helps or or try this. Yea, I know it's Wikipedia.

In both realities, he has different therapists as well. In his red reality, Dr. John Lee (played by BD Wong) is his therapist and in his green reality, it's Dr. Judith Evans (played by Cherry Jones). Both tell him that their respective "realities" are the real ones, but Michael obviously can't tell because each one is so real. 

If only it were that simple.

So, what does this all mean? It means that this show is actually really good. It's got fantastic writing and it's not some sort of Korean drama (long story) I was expecting. While the concept is fairly fresh for a TV show, it's probably been done before on the big screen. I did mention previously that there is possible downside to all of this. It's a fairly simple one. 

It's just as easy as that.

I can see the show becoming too confusing too quickly. I don't mean the whole different realities; I mean the over arching story could become too confusing. At the end of the most recent episode, it is revealed that there is more at play here than expected. That alone is worry enough to me think that this show could become like Lost; people will only understand it if they've been there since the beginning. 

The show's tittle really gives away how I felt. (Such an original joke.)

Other than that one potential problem, it's a show worth checking out especially if you like psychology stuff, like me. Just watch the show if you really want to and you'll see how everything meshes together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment